Days to the Kenyan General Elections

Events

Maskani Conversations: Let's talk #BudgetEstimates for Nairobi County - 13th May 2017

  • Written by  Maskani Ya Taifa

Attend Event

Let's talk #BudgetEstimates for Nairobi County this coming Saturday at the Kenya Puppet Theatre - Kilimani.

The Tweetup event will be graced by Wolde Wesa from the National Taxpayers Association. The organisation recently released the Nairobi County Budget 2017/18 analysis report. Here are some highlights of the report:

The County’s total projected revenue is Kshs 39.914 billion compared to Kshs 34.556 billion in 2017/18.

  • The total resource envelope for the county grew by 3.9% in 2017/18; with locally raised revenue accounting for 56.2% while conditional and non-conditional grants from the national government accounting for 43.8% of the total revenue
  • The total expenditure outlay for FY 2017/18 is Kshs 35.91 billion. This represents a 3.8% growth in 2017/18 compared to 2016/17’s Kshs 34.6 billion
  • 66.5 % of the 2016/17 budget will be spent on meeting the county’s recurrent needs that include personnel costs, use of goods and services, debt resolution among others while the remaining 33.5% will be for development expenditure.
  • Just like in 2016/17, the county’s leading three beneficiaries of the budget are Health, Public works, Transport and Infrastructure and Office of the governor & Deputy Governor (the three departments account for 52.4% of the total budget).
  • The county has a stock of debt worth Kshs 48.97 billion as at 30th June, 2016. This represents 3 billion increase from the debt position as at December 2015. The County’s debt increase is attributed to accrual of interest, penalties and low allocation towards debt servicing.
  • The county government should put in place facilitative budgetary and policy interventions that will accelerate growth of the Jua Kali sector as a way of increasing informal employment. This will have a ripple effect of reducing the current poverty rate that stands at 22.5 per cent]
  • The county through its CFSP 2016, proposes the setting aside of Kshs. 90 million towards emergency fund as required by the PFMA 2012 but despite this allocation rising by 12.5%, the allocation of the same amount for emergency this amount falls way below the required 2 per cent of the county’s annual total revenue. Given the county’s total annual revenue of Kshs. 35.91 billion, the county should by laws, set aside Kshs.718.2 million towards Emergency fund.
  • Details of the status of the county’s pending bills amounting to Kshs. 1.2 billion that has been outstanding since 2015/16 is lacking in the 2017/18 budget
  • An analysis of the budget reveals that the sectors/departments ceilings recorded a shift both downwards and upwards across different sectors. However, majority of the sectors received a downward cut on their ceilings compared to 2016/17. Despite the visible shifts across the sectors, no justification or rationale is given for the variations in the sector ceilings.

Additionally, the cost of living is up the roof. Let us talk about this too... It's #MaskaniConversations

Invite a friend too!!

Share this event on Facebook and Twitter

We hope you can make it!

Cheers,

Maskani Ya Taifa